How Offsite Manufacture Improves Project Certainty

Do you know how Offsite Manufacture can Improve Project Certainty? To know more in detail, read this blog carefully.

Whilst offsite manufacture, offsite construction, and pre-fabrication are no new concepts, they are currently seeing a surge in prevalence due to heightened awareness of site safety, tight contractor margins, and use of demanding complex sites in major cities.

Offsite manufacture presents opportunities for improvements in quality, and safety and sometimes for cost and time advantage.

offsite-manufacturing

However, a key factor when considering off-site manufacturing techniques is the potential contribution to project certainty.

In all aspects of a project, understanding certainty and risk is key to successful planning, investment, and delivery. Investment in techniques that can support project certainty. It can be more valuable to a developer or asset owner than simply a reduction in the estimated cost. It is because due to the reduced risk profile around funding and in-use payback.

Repeatable Process And Components

If on any given project only 20% of the requirements, site, design, and environment are unique, we can focus our efforts and creativity here whilst we deliver repeatable ‘known quantities’ for the remaining 80%.

Using standardized large-scale modular or component construction methods to discharge as much as possible of ‘80%’ provides known or learned data giving a high level of confidence in outcomes.

This in turn allows us to focus our analysis on the main area of project uncertainty – the unique 20%.

Design For Manufacture

Designing for a manufacturing environment allows architects and engineers to work with known and controlled processes in mind.

Compared to a live construction site where the physical constraints dictate how and when materials can assemble, a manufacturing facility allows designers to produce better detailing and to prototype digitally and physically prior to construction sequencing.

Once the design has been completed, the project has a high level of certainty. That the product quality outcomes achievable compared with a traditional construction site; where this is a high degree of onsite experimentation and prototyping.

Design for manufacture allows us to have a good level of confidence in what we are designing.

Manufacturing Processes

As well as good confidence in our quality outcomes, manufacturing processes also give much greater confidence in our schedule performance.

Individual stages and processes can be forecast due to the controlled manufacturing process; as they are less likely to be affected by sequencing issues. Elsewhere in the project or by environmental conditions such as weather or ecology.

The manufacturing environment is typically also less likely to be reliant on transient labor than a traditional construction site, minimizing resource risks that often cause program uncertainty with key trades such as bricklayers or structural welders.

BIM And Offsite Manufacture

In its most basic form, the key tenants of generating value through BIM are that good data organized well.

The increased quality and certainty over elements of project data described above enhance the overall quality of a 3D BIM Modeling and its ability to contribute positively to all stages of an asset lifecycle.

Using improved data and improved project certainty improves investment business cases, understanding of risk exposure, and acceptable working margins.

If you would like to discuss further how CRESIRE can help your organization take advantage of improved data associated with offsite manufacturing, feel free to email us today at [email protected] or visit www.cresireconsulting.com.

Share Via :

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Reddit
WhatsApp
Tumblr
Email

Get in Touch with us for BIM Outsourcing Services

Stay up to date with latest BIM trends, benefits of BIM and thought leadership articles